So many speakers and preachers have preached the need of dreams and its importance can not be over emphasized. But, that is not the purpose of this write up. The reason I’ve put up this article is to share one or two things needed before you start chasing your dreams so as to achieve them eventually.
You see, so many people in other to fit in or to fulfill all righteousness just set goals without thinking about the possibility of its achievement. Don’t get me wrong, I am not of the school of thought that says your dream should be small or medium in other to achieve them, far from it. In fact, my philosophy is that your dream should be so big that it would make you scared. It would make you jump out of your bed at 3am to start working because one minute is so much a time to you. But am not an optimistic person who build castles in the air, no matter how good your dream, it must be achievable.(I wrote here 5 steps to make an achievable goal)..
Before you start chasing your dreams, these are the things you must put in place or consider, else you would only be building castles in the air.
1. Is it Gods plan? A very good question to ask, else you’ll only be planning in vain. See, there is no success, Sorry I mean good success without God. The good book stated this severally. “To man belong the plan of the heart, but from God comes the reply of the tongue”.(proverb 16 vs 1,NIV) ….”this book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success” (Joshua 1:8,KJV) please do underline the phrase, GOOD SUCCESS.
Many people dream without God in their dream. Without God in it, I doubt if it’ll yield Good SUCCESS. (Psalm 127:1- KJV,except the Lord build a house, they labour in vain that build it, except the lord keepeth the city,the watchman waketh but in vain)
2. Do you have what it takes? Notice I didn’t ask “did you” I said “do You” (let’s not get into English class..Hahaha). The question should not be confused. Many great men and women were not born, they were made. Understanding what you have and what you need would help you realize what your dream demands and how to get it. And answering this question correctly would lead you to the next question,
3. Can you develop what it takes? If or after answering the above question, whatever your answer-you also need to answer this. At this point, your answer must be positive, if you can or you can’t, you’re right. But whatever you believe you can do-that will you do. Go and develop the thick skin needed to realize your dreams. After answering number one(I believe in the affirmative) the rest should fall in place, albeit difficult. But should you lack after all said and done the ability for your dream, then improvise.
4. Can you sustain the dream? A lot of us have had terrific dreams and ideas, and then along the line, we lose steam. How come! What happened? What went wrong? It’s somewhat because we didn’t have the courage to sustain the dream. So ask yourself, do you have the ability to sustain your dream. If you realize you don’t, then seek help.
5. Find a balance. So many people lose out of life because they we so buried in their dreams.( I wrote here, six things you’ll regret in the future). Don’t be too lost in your future that you lose out on today, you need the contacts and associations which are around you today. Ever heard of any self made person? I’m still not certain about the totality of the truth in that statement, however, no matter how true or false it is, made people still rely on the power of association to excel even more. Make sure you get all the possible contacts today, so as to use them tomorrow.
6. Now Chase your dreams- Period!!! Having the aforementioned at the back of your mind, what’s next is to chase your dream the way Usain Bolt would go in search of the finish line.(Not literary anyway)
Knowing you have Gods backing and your personal abilities, there’s nothing stopping you from achieving your purpose.
Now you know the first five things needed before you set a goal or before you start dreaming. Defaulting in any of these might be detrimental. Go and win, to your success!!!
Over to you, what’s your take on this? Any objection, contribution or correction would be highly appreciated. Just use the comment box below.